Back in the summer of 2009 I wrote a post, Is WiFi Becoming the Unregulated Stealth Carrier of the Future?, where I covered some of my experiences using WiFi while traveling, especially to European destinations. For ten days in January, 2013 I traveled throughout the Central American country of Costa Rica and decided to use [...]
Tag Archives | WiFi
Since its launch in August 2003 Skype has developed its brand through “free” calling for Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls as well as chat. However, whenever they launch a revenue generating offering, users need to experience the actual feature before paying up. Recently Skype has come up with a couple of ways to have a [...]
Recently a couple of acquaintances who were leaving for Europe asked me whether they could use Skype for iPhone for “free” calling. The bad news: with high data roaming charges when outside the country on “foreign” 3G/LTE carriers, using Skype for iPhone has the potential to double the cost of their trip and create “bill [...]
In a press release associated with its participation at Mobile World Congress Skype has announced an expansion of its Skype Access service to include eight additional hotspot operators. According to the press release: With one click, Skype users can connect to the Internet through a WiFi operator partner in over 500,000 hotspots around the globe [...]
In the past I have written about how WiFi is becoming the de facto unregulated stealth wireless carrier; I have also mentioned Boingo as a service that provides significant convenience when on the road, with its 125,000 access points at airports, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and other public locations worldwide. Over the past year Skype [...]
Three weeks ago Skype made available the “Gold” release of Skype 4.2 for Windows. In the interim I have had the opportunity to experience many of its new features, several of which I have found improve the call experience in somewhat subtle but very beneficial ways. Call Quality Indicator This is what I have found [...]
Announcement of the Skype – Verizon agreement certainly has generated buzz around both the Mobile World Congress and the blogosphere. Last Wednesday morning, one day after the announcement, several bloggers and mobile ecosystem players came together on a CalliFlower-hosted SquawkBox conference call to discuss both the triggers for the agreement and the implementations. Co-hosted by [...]
Over the past several months I have written three posts about WiFi’s ever-increasing role as a complement to the wireless carriers: WiFi: The Real Threat to the Mobile Carriers Is WiFi Becoming the Unregulated Stealth Carrier of the Future? Traveling in a Bipolar Mobile Mode Basically, in my recent travels I have found that WiFi [...]
But it’s neither; it’s an electronic version of a briefcase (or attaché case) which can contain everything we carry around with a roughly 8.5″ x 11″ form factor Consider the items we would carry around in a briefcase: newspapers and magazines
…Many are disappointed by the fact it’s not a phone; however, that issue was best addressed by this photo and an accompanying comment found on an acquaintance’s social networking: Look at this picture of Steve Jobs holding his iPhone.
The past six months, with three trips to Europe, have given me the opportunity not only to experience roaming on European 3G wireless services but also the strategies and alternatives that allow me to minimize roaming charges while traveling with both a BlackBerry and iPhone. A key to the achieving this goal lies in the [...]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) July 23, 2014
- PamFax: Who Uses Fax Today? June 13, 2014
- Voxeet – Bringing New Dimensions to Conference Calls April 14, 2014
- BlackBerry Z30: Setting the Bar for Smartphone Platform Performance March 26, 2014
- Voice On The Web: Coming Alive Again February 26, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype for Windows 4.2: Enhancing the Skype Call Experience March 21, 2010
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) http://t.co/fFokxi5ada This trip was #PoweredByBlackberry #BBEliteWin 10:45:20 AM July 24, 2014 from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) http://t.co/apftHe799O This trip was #PoweredByBlackberry #BBEliteWin http://t.co/HsAoFlpOzA 10:13:09 AM July 24, 2014 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Share this on Foursquare Check-Ins on @BlackBerry Will Still Work http://t.co/EyEupPYPep Swarm not required on #BB10 devices 09:15:04 AM July 24, 2014 from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Share this on Foursquare Check-Ins on BlackBerry Will Still Work http://t.co/XEeBcEocCS Swarm not required on... http://t.co/KqpMaZj3jt 09:05:19 AM July 24, 2014 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) http://t.co/TcZCRZOm56 #BBEliteWin BBM #BB10 http://t.co/UAtbC88ldS 07:30:30 PM July 23, 2014 from Facebook in reply to BlackBerry ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) http://t.co/ToBmUam2qs #BBEliteWin @BBM #BB10 07:06:24 PM July 23, 2014 from Buffer in reply to BlackBerry ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Jim Courtney Daily is out! http://t.co/ue7tXeemqb about 4 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Jim Courtney Daily is out! http://t.co/ue7tXeemqb 04:56:03 AM July 25, 2014 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Just watched the El Al flight from Tel Aviv coming down for landing over the golf course. (@ Derrydale Golf Club) http://t.co/ZwJr3z5sUN 04:43:41 PM July 24, 2014 from foursquare ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Experimenting with a Canadian brewed Kölsch... (Lug Tread Lagered Ale) http://t.co/l1GAJrnPyx #photo 12:24:00 PM July 24, 2014 from Untappd ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BlackBerry 10: My European Travel Companion(s) http://t.co/Ymka5cAq4v This trip was #PoweredByBlackberry #BBEliteWin 10:30:38 AM July 24, 2014 from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Share this on Foursquare Check-Ins on @BlackBerry Will Still Work http://t.co/cTk4Mz7mIE Swarm not required on #BB10 devices 09:09:03 AM July 24, 2014 from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite