Back in the summer of 2009 I wrote a post, Is WiFi Becoming the Unregulated Stealth Carrier of the Future?, where I covered some of my experiences using WiFi while traveling, especially to European destinations. For ten days in January, 2013 I traveled throughout the Central American country of Costa Rica and decided to use [...]
Tag Archives | WiFi
Since its launch in August 2003 Skype has developed its brand through “free” calling for Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls as well as chat. However, whenever they launch a revenue generating offering, users need to experience the actual feature before paying up. Recently Skype has come up with a couple of ways to have a [...]
Recently a couple of acquaintances who were leaving for Europe asked me whether they could use Skype for iPhone for “free” calling. The bad news: with high data roaming charges when outside the country on “foreign” 3G/LTE carriers, using Skype for iPhone has the potential to double the cost of their trip and create “bill [...]
In a press release associated with its participation at Mobile World Congress Skype has announced an expansion of its Skype Access service to include eight additional hotspot operators. According to the press release: With one click, Skype users can connect to the Internet through a WiFi operator partner in over 500,000 hotspots around the globe [...]
In the past I have written about how WiFi is becoming the de facto unregulated stealth wireless carrier; I have also mentioned Boingo as a service that provides significant convenience when on the road, with its 125,000 access points at airports, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and other public locations worldwide. Over the past year Skype [...]
Three weeks ago Skype made available the “Gold” release of Skype 4.2 for Windows. In the interim I have had the opportunity to experience many of its new features, several of which I have found improve the call experience in somewhat subtle but very beneficial ways. Call Quality Indicator This is what I have found [...]
Announcement of the Skype – Verizon agreement certainly has generated buzz around both the Mobile World Congress and the blogosphere. Last Wednesday morning, one day after the announcement, several bloggers and mobile ecosystem players came together on a CalliFlower-hosted SquawkBox conference call to discuss both the triggers for the agreement and the implementations. Co-hosted by [...]
Over the past several months I have written three posts about WiFi’s ever-increasing role as a complement to the wireless carriers: WiFi: The Real Threat to the Mobile Carriers Is WiFi Becoming the Unregulated Stealth Carrier of the Future? Traveling in a Bipolar Mobile Mode Basically, in my recent travels I have found that WiFi [...]
But it’s neither; it’s an electronic version of a briefcase (or attaché case) which can contain everything we carry around with a roughly 8.5″ x 11″ form factor Consider the items we would carry around in a briefcase: newspapers and magazines
…Many are disappointed by the fact it’s not a phone; however, that issue was best addressed by this photo and an accompanying comment found on an acquaintance’s social networking: Look at this picture of Steve Jobs holding his iPhone.
The past six months, with three trips to Europe, have given me the opportunity not only to experience roaming on European 3G wireless services but also the strategies and alternatives that allow me to minimize roaming charges while traveling with both a BlackBerry and iPhone. A key to the achieving this goal lies in the [...]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- Voxeet – Bringing New Dimensions to Conference Calls April 14, 2014
- BlackBerry Z30: Setting the Bar for Smartphone Platform Performance March 26, 2014
- Voice On The Web: Coming Alive Again February 26, 2014
- Reprise: BBM for iOS and Android – A Positioning Exercise November 14, 2013
- BlackBerry: BBM for iOS and Android Launches October 22, 2013
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype at eComm 2009: Royalty Free Licensing of SILK Codec March 3, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- How I made $13.4 Million in one day | LinkedIn http://t.co/mk5WXrw5w8 about 8 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- How I made $13.4 Million in one day | LinkedIn http://t.co/Y3JUP2FLCm about 8 hours ago from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @PamFax 3.0 - The Complete Fax Solution - Lands On @BlackBerry World http://t.co/xS2JZyhRFE via @bbryflow #BB10 09:15:11 AM April 18, 2014 from Buffer in reply to PamFax ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @PamFax 3.0 - The Complete Fax Solution - Lands On BlackBerry World http://t.co/txXdC5XQB5 via BerryFlow #BB10 09:05:07 AM April 18, 2014 from Facebook in reply to PamFax ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @PamFax 3.0: Obligation-Free Fax Worldwide On Demand http://t.co/UWD2c2RmRP new UI for native @BlackBerry #bb10, iOS, Android, Windows 09:15:09 AM April 17, 2014 from Buffer in reply to PamFax ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @PamFax 3.0: Obligation-Free Fax Worldwide On Demand http://t.co/MkpEYzUx7q new UI for native BlackBerry #bb10, iOS, Android, Windows 09:05:06 AM April 17, 2014 from Facebook in reply to PamFax ReplyRetweetFavorite
- How I made $13.4 Million in one day | LinkedIn http://t.co/Vk7kEiVc2z about 9 hours ago from Buffer ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Jim Courtney Daily is out! http://t.co/ue7tXeemqb about 22 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Drinking an Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale by @AlexanderKeiths @ The Cove Inn & Spa — http://t.co/ndSWtGSuhj 11:59:23 AM April 22, 2014 from Untappd ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I just earned the 'Hotel Hopper' badge on @untappd! http://t.co/7T6BBCdqZ0 11:57:15 AM April 22, 2014 from Untappd ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Jim Courtney Daily is out! http://t.co/ue7tXeemqb 04:58:07 AM April 22, 2014 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Picking up some Obama cookies (@ Le Moulin de Provence) http://t.co/RugghJfeG6 http://t.co/qB233QPgS5 02:37:25 PM April 21, 2014 from foursquare ReplyRetweetFavorite