It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it […]
Tag Archives | product management
Over the past six years of covering Skype, there have been three “Masters” – the original founders – Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis (2003 to 2005), eBay (2005 to 2009) and the Silver Lake consortium (2009 to MS acquisition). And, once regulatory approvals and due diligence are completed, Microsoft will become the fourth later this […]
Following up on Tuesday’s announcement, where many questioned the valuation placed on Skype by Microsoft, Ben Horowitz of Andreeson Horowitz, one of Skype’s investors in the “Silver Lake round” a year ago November, provides some interesting insight into what Andreeson Horotwitz had seen when they made that initial investment 18 months ago. And these insights […]
With today’s announcement of Microsoft’s intention to acquire Skype, subject to regulatory approvals, Skype has received the endorsement required to be considered a long term, viable and stable service addressing both consumer and enterprise markets. From the press conference and press release: Skype will continue as a brand and an independent business unit within Microsoft. […]
I first met iotum CEO Alec Saunders as a competitor in the Canadian PC software market back in 1994. I was Canadian Country Manager for Quarterdeck whose QEMM-386 memory manager had been the tops-selling utility for DOS-based PC’s; Alec was Microsoft’s Canada’s Product Manager for DOS where they were introducing some memory management techniques into […]
Sometimes communications services come along that demonstrate technical feasibility but then you have to ask “Why?”, “Who would use it?”, “What are the real user benefits?” Such a service is the voice-to-text SMS-based service announced by Skype and partner SpinVox last week. Basically a Skype user can set up their account such that Skype voicemails […]
The most recent hotfix release of Skype for Windows 4 Beta 3 had one key new feature: feature: Super Wideband audio codec The associated Skype Garage post went on to say: … Starting from this version we’ve included the new Super Wideband Audio codec. This is our second in-house built audio codec especially designed for […]
Josh Silverman joined Skype as President early in the spring of 2008; since then he has been reviewing Skype’s opportunities and building a team of experienced executives who can bring to Skype the products, programs and team building expertise required to operate a business with a run rate of $600MM per year, 20% contribution margins […]
This is the third in a series of posts resulting from an interview last Friday with Josh Silverman, Skype’s recently appointed President. In this post we talk about Skype’s value set, getting the business side right while benefiting from the experience and skills of the current employees and the role of product marketing. In the […]
We reported earlier that Mike Bartlett, Skype for Windows Product Manager, would be the guest on Friday’s Squawk Box. With 15 fifteen participants, Mike answered questions ranging from features of the new Skype for Windows 4.0 Beta; plans and objectives for the beta program, the challenges of trying to launch concurrent (Windows, Mac, Linux) versions, […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/uU4rrfKMLm Thanks to @HyperWellbeing #wef20 #toronto about 17 minutes ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/kWwIowcQB9 Thanks to @DDGriffith @robcee @GoStanford #toronto #wef20 04:57:18 AM January 19, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/Al0XjVT09J Thanks to @trentjohnsen @BlackBerry_NZ @jamiehunter #cybersecurity #canada 04:57:16 AM January 18, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/3ZBpxNrDw4 Thanks to @mjgraves @MarcKBoucher #canada #business 04:57:16 AM January 17, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/79Bt3d3NAC Thanks to @shaiberger @uoftalumni @CharlieSierra24 #toronto #cloud 04:57:21 AM January 16, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/0pFHwZjVV4 Thanks to @trentjohnsen @DougonIPComm @gamesbids #toronto #demdebate 04:57:19 AM January 15, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite