Yesterday’s announcement of the Skype for SIP beta created lots of commentary in the blogosphere; it remained the leading topic on Techmeme for several hours. Phil Wolff over at Skype Journal, in “Skype For SIP: Big Money, Skypeless, Brand Destroyer”, outlines some of the positioning with respect to Skype for Asterisk, channel schism issues and […]
Tag Archives | Presence
Thursday evening I was checking out Truphone’s latest release only to learn that their somewhat delayed version that provides access to Skype is still on hold. At that time I went browsing for other applications on the App Store and came across one that I have had previous experience with on the BlackBerry: IM+ for […]
Over the past few years we have seen the evolution of several conversation communities, some simply employing instant messaging; others employing both instant messaging and voice. Skype is the primary example with its support of IM, voice and video as well as auxiliary features such as file sharing (and, as announced tonight, basic screen sharing) […]
In a simplistic world, it is easy to view the mobile phone as the PC in your pocket when the truth is the mobile phone is not the PC in your pocket. The path to low cost or free mobile calling to our friends and business colleagues worldwide is not necessarily through a replication of […]
Having reflected on Skype’s accomplishments in 2007 and some of the more interesting devices and technologies that have crossed my way, now for my projections for 2008. (In the interest of enhanced objectivity — not that I can be totally objective — I have yet to read Phil’s 37 Sketchy 2008 Skype Predictions or Andy’s […]
Alec Saunders, of iotum, Talk Now and Voice 2.0 Manifesto fame, has written one of his high level overview posts, Aikido, Retreat or War. What’s Your Microsoft Strategy? Alec brings a unique perspective to the table because he has moved from being a program manager within Microsoft when their real time communications strategy was in […]
Two of the Release Note items for Skype 3.2 beta piqued my curiosity: feature: Multi-Device presence feature: Call Quality feedback in client Yesterday I spoke with Mike Bartlett, Product Manager of Skype for Windows, to obtain more details behind these features.. The need for Multi-Device Presence has arisen with the arrival of PC Free phones […]
In a previous post I presented an Interruptions 2.0 Manifesto, outlining issues that need to be considered in the course of real time communications activity in an AlwaysOn world which, in turn, exposes us as users to being Always Available. And it’s not simply a matter of exchanging bits and bytes to manage interruptions; higher […]
Taking back control of your real time communications in the AlwaysOn world. (While this post was published originally inFebruary 2007, it still has even more relevance in a very active Social Networking world; see the Update note at the end of the post). When reporting on my visit last summer to an Alexander Graham Bell […]
Monday afternoon’s first Fall VON 2006 plenary session, IM: The State of Presence, featuring a panel of executives and managers from the GYMAS-five representing over 90% of the IM usage worldwide: Dan Casey, Director, Windows Live VoIP and Messenger Product Management, Microsoft Jeff Bonforte, Director of Voice Product Management, Yahoo! Nitzan Shaer, Director, Mobile Devices, […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/yca4WEPzd0 #mostadmired #voteblue2020 about 5 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/eim7TCxi2X Thanks to @michaeltorbert 04:55:21 AM September 25, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/YLTeVIe8RN 04:55:22 AM September 24, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/oRXJudY0fp Thanks to @VijayAerpula6 #hpc 04:56:01 AM September 23, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/qBzlHaXrTV #mlb 04:56:07 AM September 22, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/ofT8aeyxNX Thanks to @sunnysideup346 04:55:22 AM September 21, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite