Picked up the three Toronto newspapers Monday morning; each had the front page headline about the executive changes at Research in Motion that were made public late Sunday night, (I was caught up watching the 49’ers – Giants NFC Conference overtime final that ran rather late and had taken time off from the Internet.) It’s […]
Tag Archives | iPad applications
Yesterday Skype announced the availability of Skype 3.6 for iOS (iPhone, iPad) with three key updates: Chat improvements: Copy and Paste & URL links now work UI improvements: Edit button reinstalled in Messages Stability improvements and various bug fixes I installed the upgrade on my iPad (original version) and found the last item is the […]
In previous posts I have mentioned how the iPad is an ideal form factor for a “Desktop phone” experience, whether using CounterPath’s Bria, as a business phone extension, or Skype for iPad, targeted largely to the consumer and small business market. This is especially true for video calling where the 10” screen combined with the […]
Yesterday came the first firm indications of the imminent arrival of Skype for iPad. It’s been hotly sought out in Google searches and Skype users have long regarded Skype for iPhone as somewhat pathetic when running on an iPad, especially in 2x mode. With the iPad’s much larger display and, with iPad 2, its video […]
Yesterday I wrote about coverage of the BlackBerry PlayBook launch, partially inspired by three pages of coverage in last weekend’s Globe and Mail Report on Business. But I left with the question of whether competitive comparisons with the iPad are valid or can the PlayBook provide new market directions for tablets. Certainly on content and […]
Over the past few months there has been lots of coverage of RIM’s forthcoming BlackBerry Playbook and its potential for acceptance in the quickly emerging tablet market. The media frenzy generally perceives it as a competitor to the iPad; the initial reviews of the past week have been mixed, to say the least. The issue […]
The evolution has been long and not without its hiccups. When I first used Skype five years ago video calling was just emerging with a 320 x 240 resolution and not the greatest speed; postage stamp-size video at best. Fast forward to late 2007 when Skype introduced High Quality Video supporting VGA (640 x 480) […]
For the past few years I have been aware of another company, aside from Skype, that develops communications software in the form of SIP-based softphones: CounterPath, working out of Vancouver, B.C. I have always been a bit frustrated by SIP-based connectivity – my one learning across several attempts over the years to configure SIP-based softphones […]
Ok, so the iPad does not have a camera of any type. But is its form factor not a “natural” format for video calling? When Global IP Solutions put out a press release yesterday I was a bit skeptical about who would take up on their “one way Video Conferencing/Chat capabilities for iPad developers, powered […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/P8XUbx1SFf Thanks to @deellisd #security #retail about 7 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/5Ij1cWIy7N Thanks to @nihsingapore @TomVerni @EIMediaIntel #sweden #newyork 04:57:33 AM February 19, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/37fPOKrcGa Thanks to @Sourcefabric #security #events 04:57:37 AM February 18, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/OekWXoeP7R Thanks to @GoodNewsStock 04:57:36 AM February 17, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/V9H1WvGsZp Thanks to @lynnmark6 @tokenwhiteguy3 @hostdns #us #nso 04:57:33 AM February 16, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/TTNVE7Dj4c Thanks to @SkypeSupport @StGilesResident @BraulioJSR… https://t.co/3AxwdCjIyC 04:57:32 AM February 15, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite