Around 2 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time today (March 11, 2012), Skype Users Online went over 36 million for the first time. It’s not simply a matter of crossing this line but more a question of why the rapid growth of Users Online over the past two weeks. Update Monday, Mar. 12: At approximately 12:45 […]
Tag Archives | Hudson Barton
Ever wonder if Skype could replace your home phone line? Borderless Communicator publisher and independent Skype “statistician” Hudson Barton has outlined, with encouragement by Skype Journal‘s Phil Wolff, the complete details of how he has deployed Skype to become his home phone. If you are considering this option here are some of the considerations: Skype Online […]
For Mac devotees worldwide there has developed a significant appreciation of Skype for Mac 2.8 with it’s drawers, separate chat conversations windows, contact management algorithms and other features that present a “Mac-like” user interface. It provided both ease-of-use and flexibility across the spectrum of new to advanced users. However, there have also been cries for […]
A few days after CES 2011 and its announcements re Skype on mobile devices and Skype on TV, the daily maximum of Skype users concurrently online has quickly risen from 25 million to just shy of 29 million. Hudson Barton’s meticulous tracking demonstrates the long term growth of this statistic. Last summer, when Skype filed […]
When I interviewed Skype CEO Josh Silverman at CES 2010 in January, I had asked about the timing for a Skype IPO. Josh’s response: “We’ll see. We don’t have a timeline for it. Our focus is to build a really great company. When we’re ready and the markets are ready, we’ll consider an IPO. At […]
“Fring is not a communications platform, but only a toy or at best a testbed for shiny objects.” Comment by Hudson Barton on Andy Abramson’s post: Fring Fumbles on Cross Platform Video Chat In observing the evolution of Skype and third party access to it over the past few years I have often wondered how […]
While, being a Canadian where I could not try out Skype for iPhone “legally”, I have followed the coverage and comments across the web. At this point I simply want to provide a summary and links to some of the feedback. In some sense, Hudson Barton’s tweet earlier today, shown above, sums it all up. […]
Guest Post by Hudson Barton, The Borderless Communicator 2008 is turning out to be a great year for Skype growth (real users), nearly matching the record year of 2006. In my view, the patterns of Skype growth are affected by: The popularity (name recognition) of the software itself… in comparison to communications alternatives. The capability […]
The Motley Fool has become a popular and widely respected investment community site since the origins of the commercial Internet in the mid-90’s with the objective of helping people take control of their financial lives. It has evolved into a multi-media financial services operation; they have free and premium services; suggest portfolios and try to […]
Borderless Communicator Hudson Barton has spent the last few years as the “keeper of the ‘real users’ statistic”, a measure of Skype usage that attempts to understand the demographics of Skype’s user base and put it into some sort of perspective so that it can be compared with other communication services. There are only five […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/6kNFBJrGOS Thanks to @rhh @OleksiakPenny @CharlieSierra24 #blockchain #technology about 20 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/11rodhXNbP Thanks to @DennisSmith #tech #science 04:57:21 AM March 23, 2019 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/W2eWw9uA13 Thanks to @dawnbazely @berryvic @caitlincz #ai #toronto 04:57:20 AM March 22, 2019 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/XSDkWcYaEe Thanks to @MarcKBoucher @RealJorritsma #toronto #retail 04:57:25 AM March 21, 2019 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/2QajQnNssu Thanks to @igrigorik @caitlincz #toronto #brexit 04:57:23 AM March 20, 2019 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @datachick: Live drawing Michael Stonebraker https://t.co/6nfEFH0RwJ 09:28:12 AM March 19, 2019 from Periscope ReplyRetweetFavorite