Over the past several years I have owned Nokia phones, the last one being the (tri-band) Nokia 6310i. However, I was always finding blind spots in my coverage. Would be half a kilometer along the drive out of my subdivision and having to apologize for phone calls cutting out over the next kilometer or so.. […]
Yesterday Skype released its initial Skype for Windows 3.0 beta with several new features. However, the press release does not really show the entire picture and, in fact, two of the four features mentioned were available in the previous 2.6 beta – namely, Click-to-Call and Skypecasts Live. Click-to-Call is simply an embedding of the previously […]
As mentioned elsewhere I have had significant exposure to a variety of phones that have been designed to work with Skype, either as the primary purpose of the device (Skype WiFi phones, Skype Cordless phones) or as an application within a more versatile mobile “personal assistant” platform (Windows Mobile platforms and, by year end, Symbian […]
GigaOM today reported on Vonage’s latest results: new subscribers down, churn is up, ARPU is down, subscriber acquisition costs up. All indicators going in the wrong direction; in fact, one could say that Vonage continues to dig its own hole (as predicted here and here). Maybe Vonage’s board could use Vonage’s latest service announced yesterday: […]
Initiated when Andy invited me to participate in the Nokia blogger program back in June, I have now had the opportunity to work with several mobile platforms and, over time, made several attempts to work with programs that access Skype from the mobile phone. I’ve also been following the Skype perspective on mobile here, here […]
Today Skype released Skype for Pocket PC 2.1, a release whose accompanying documentation reflects the reality of the limited resources of handheld mobile devices. A full list of features is available here; however, key items include: A new multi-chat interface which supports chats with several participants. Skype Launcher, a small ‘launcher” application that checks available […]
Naked Conversations co-author (with Robert Scoble) Shel Israel and American-converted-to-Canadian VC and blogger Rick Segal (and our former Microsoft evangelist when I was at Quarterdeck) are currently traveling through Europe. With an objective of learning about Europeans who have been bitten by the technology development bug, as well as about the integration of technology into […]
Last week’s Voice 2.0 Conference in Ottawa exposed examples across the entire range of infrastructure and services that lead to voice-related applications. Martin Geddes led off with a keynote asking What’s telephone for? What’s the unmet user need? Where’s the money and What’s next? Sam Aparicio of Angel.com provides an excellent commentary on Martin’s presentation […]
One of the “joys” of being a US-controlled public company is that SEC requires the breakout of International from domestic sales. So today’s 3rd quarter report from eBay provides some information that allows us to look at Skype registrations coming from the U.S. With over double the registrations from two quarters ago, it certainly demonstrates […]
Thursday I received, as an evaluation unit, a Sony Mylo via the folks at Trinity Convergence whose voice engine software is embedded in the device. The Mylo has turned out to be an interesting personal companion and nothing has changed my opinion that this could be for Sony in the 2000’s what the Walkman was […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/5IH5dQaqxG Thanks to @CFL @runcamille #toronto #blockchain about 3 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/zXLXcvRjki Thanks to @crp_amman @autocarpro @MyLibertyShield #ai #marketing 04:53:21 AM January 17, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/k2x2hmtoyY Thanks to @actiontec @DougonIPComm @rajeevkugan #blockchain #iot 04:53:25 AM January 16, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/G7E0dxOmkG Thanks to @Alan_Quayle #ai #toronto 04:53:43 AM January 15, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/ndVfPsZcvW Thanks to @datachick #ai #toronto 04:53:41 AM January 14, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/g6jcy7SXfp Thanks to @CommLead #ai #ces2018 04:53:24 AM January 13, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite