Ever wonder if Skype could replace your home phone line? Borderless Communicator publisher and independent Skype “statistician” Hudson Barton has outlined, with encouragement by Skype Journal‘s Phil Wolff, the complete details of how he has deployed Skype to become his home phone. If you are considering this option here are some of the considerations: Skype Online […]
Archive | Embedded Skype RSS feed for this section
This morning, at the CEA Line Show in New York, Skype is taking the first step in the evolution of its revamped developer platform with the beta release of SkypeKit, “empowering consumer electronic and desktop software innovators to embed Skype into their products”. In summary: Most importantly, SkypeKit allows developers to embed all the functionality […]
With the release of Skype 4.0 for Windows beta 3 a year ago February, Skype first introduced their superwideband SILK codec. A month later at eComm 2009, Jonathan Christensen announced SILK’s availability for third party partners with royalty free licensing of the SILK codec. Since then it has been incorporated into all subsequent releases of […]
The DECT 6.0-compliant RTX 3088 Dualphone allows North American consumers to continue to use their legacy PSTN phone service while seamlessly incorporating Skype into their routine “home phone” activities. And it’s one reason why you will see those Skype Mood Messages that say “Using Skype without my computer”. Last fall In Store Solutions released a […]
Announcement of the Skype – Verizon agreement certainly has generated buzz around both the Mobile World Congress and the blogosphere. Last Wednesday morning, one day after the announcement, several bloggers and mobile ecosystem players came together on a CalliFlower-hosted SquawkBox conference call to discuss both the triggers for the agreement and the implementations. Co-hosted by […]
Yesterday’s announcement that Skype will become available as a supported service on Verizon Wireless has to have sent a tsunami through the wireless operator world. To review the offering: A Skype client will be included on nine models of BlackBerry and Android smartphones in late March; current customers with these devices will be able to […]
Full disclosure: This post was prepared prior to today’s press conference using information that was publicly available prior to the conference. In the second post I’ll discuss the service as announced at CES today. When you can advertise “Free phone calling internationally”, they will come! In the CES interview with Skype CEO Josh Silverman, Josh […]
At CES 2010 last month I had the opportunity to record interviews with Skype CEO Josh Silverman as well as Russ Shaw, Vice President and General Manager of Skype Mobile and EMEA, and Matt Jordan, Enterprise Business Development Manager. In this second interview Russ Shaw covers a wide range of questions about Skype on different […]
Skype’s announcement today of agreements to have television sets become end points for Skype video calls really raises a series of both user interface issues as well as social issues: Do I want to be interrupted while watching programming such as a sporting event or Oprah? Where is it more convenient to talk: via a […]
In the lead-up to the forthcoming eComm Europe Conference organizer Lee Dryburgh interviews some of the speakers. This past weekend he posted an interview with GIPS CTO Jan Linden (picture below) and CMO Joyce Kim where they talked about (i) the role of codecs in delivering overall high quality HD voice and (ii) the emergence […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/glppx8Bzf7 Thanks to @dawnbazely @deancollins @richloen #ai #marketing about 15 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I just earned the 'Beer Foodie (Level 2)' badge on @untappd! https://t.co/XJq6u0U7v3 06:00:45 PM March 16, 2018 from Untappd ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I just earned the 'St. Patrick's Day (2018)' badge on @untappd! https://t.co/KxrgJVgOfq #stpaddy 06:00:38 PM March 16, 2018 from Untappd ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Vikings exhibit. Long lines; lots to read. Amazing collection of artifacts telling the Viking history. (@ Royal Ont… https://t.co/hJm3sw7zUU 03:18:16 PM March 16, 2018 from Foursquare ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/34gnNZfMk5 Thanks to @DiaMariesbeat @DougonIPComm #ai #iot 04:53:20 AM March 16, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/C5RI8A1JWG Thanks to @BruceAHeyman #ai #marketing 04:53:48 AM March 15, 2018 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite